An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a unique nine-digit number assigned to a business by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax filing and reporting purposes. If your business is a limited liability company (LLC), you will need to obtain an EIN in order to open a bank account, hire employees, and comply with federal tax laws.
To apply for an EIN, you can either complete the online application on the IRS website or submit a paper Form SS-4 by mail or fax. Here are the steps for applying online:
- Go to the IRS website: Visit www.irs.gov and click on the “Apply for an EIN” link under the “Employer ID Numbers” section.
- Select the type of entity: Choose “Limited Liability Company (LLC)” from the drop-down menu.
- Provide contact information: Enter the name and Social Security number of the responsible party for your LLC (typically the owner or CEO).
- Answer a few questions: The online application will ask you a few questions about your LLC, such as its principal business activity and the number of employees.
- Submit the application: Review your information to ensure it is correct, and then submit the application. You should receive your EIN immediately after the application is submitted.
If you prefer to apply for an EIN by mail or fax, you can download and complete Form SS-4 from the IRS website. Once the form is complete, you can either mail it to the IRS or fax it to the appropriate fax number, which can be found on the form. It may take several weeks to receive your EIN if you apply by mail or fax.
Keep in mind that you only need to apply for an EIN if your LLC has employees or if you are required to file certain federal tax forms (such as employment, excise, or alcohol, tobacco and firearms tax returns). If your LLC does not have any employees and is not required to file these forms, you may not need an EIN. You should check with the IRS or a tax professional to determine if an EIN is necessary for your LLC.
The Northwest Registered Agent can help you apply for an EIN. The price is $50 with a SSN and $200 without SSN.